Wednesday, April 20, 2011

250: online vs. face to face learning

In what ways is online learning qualitatively different than face to face learning? In this instance you get to pull on your own experiences as well as the readings, and answer as well as critically contribute to the debate surrounding online learning.

When I first started the MLIS program "here" at SJSU, I had my recurring comment I would make when people would ask about school. "The program is all online," I would say, "which is probably a ridiculous way to really learn anything."

So I've changed my mind, and have been surprised. Far from ridiculous, I think there are some incredibly practical, useful ways that online learning is at least as effective as face to face learning, if not more so. While there are obvious differences between mediums, there are useful components of each, from both a teaching and learning perspective.

The two most notable differences that come to mind between online and traditional learning are the lack of face to face interaction with instructors and classmates online, as well as a different relationship to time. If learning can happen when its most convenient for you, as opposed to learning happens only when a class is scheduled, that's a huge difference. And while the lack of f2f interaction has for me felt lacking at times, the reality is that I get to interact with a more diverse group of people online than I probably would in a classroom setting. There's tremendous value in that.

My experience with the MLIS program has also given me a lot to think about in terms of designing instruction online. The weakest professors I've had in this program are the ones who haven't taken advantage of the many tools out there to make online learning interactive. The classes where it's been-- read the lecture, post on the discussion board, the end-- have been far less satisfying than classes which enable true interaction with classmates. As we as instructors become more adept at delivering instruction online, perhaps the differences between face to face and online learning will feel even smaller.


4 comments:

  1. Rebecca, Did you mean to say the "strongest professors" instead of the weakest instructors who take advantage of interactive tools? If so, I firmly agree with you. The more "present" an instructor is in an online or F2F environment can only lead to high interaction and engagement among students both individually and when working in groups. I also agree with your idea that online learning facilitates meeting a diverse group of individuals that may not occur in a F2F classroom. In effect, the online learning environment opens doors to many more opportunities which results in a well-rounded educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The weakest professors I've had in this program are the ones who haven't taken advantage of the many tools..."

    Yep, same as what you said! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I agree with you: the weakest professors have been those that have not been present in the classroom environment. In some ways, those are also the most difficult courses because you may not have any real indication as to what the professor is looking for.

    I also have the similar experiences with explaining to people I am taking an online program. Sometimes I feel I am not learning anything or that my education is second or third rate because it is not traditional. That's something I still struggle with as online education itself struggles for acceptance as a viable institution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the most part, I've found that the Elluminate sessions have done a good job of replicating the dynamic face to face discussion of traditional classrooms. However, I've found that there really isn't a middle ground. There are faculty who use it for their weekly "lecture" while others don't utilize it at all. But then again, I understand that faculty are doing their best with their own technological comfort level. Also, students aren't the only ones who have full-time jobs or family obligations.

    I agree Rich, that those who have not experienced effective online learning presume that it is somehow less than traditional face to face learning. I hope that with time it will change.

    ReplyDelete