Sunday, July 18, 2010

the baby-sitter's club

Martin, A.M. (2010).  Kristy's Great Idea. New York: Scholastic.
ISBN 978-0545174756

If tween books were a carnival, The Baby-Sitters Club books would be cotton candy: fluffy, sweet, light, and fun. Orignially published in the late 80's, the series has been re-released for a new generation of tweens (the original cover, left, and updated cover are above). The themes of the book are relatable and deal with the ins and outs of life in middle school. Full disclosure: I adored these books as a tween. Meeting Ann M. Martin was the highlight of 6th grade. I do remember my parents lamenting the fact that I wasn't reading books that were more substantial, but I think a little harmless fun is great. I can imagine these appealing especially to young tweens looking to "read up" and see what life is like when you're 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment